musings of a saint and sinner

Saturday, June 10, 2006

No more babysitting!

Here's something else I have been thinking about: I am increasingly frustrated by the way mainline churches (and I can't just pick on Lutherans here) keep their parishoners "in their place." I call it "glorified babysitting." Was the way of the old ministers with their emphasis on visitation really the best way? It is still the expectation of churchgoers...especially the old folk. They feel that the pastor should preach, lead worship, and be chaplain to them. The pastor should do lots of visitation and make them feel good while doing it.

Now, I know that to a certain extent pastors ought to mingle with the people and make them feel good because that helps people to realize that you care about them. And when people feel cared about, they don't feel that they are a "project" for you. They are loved and that's why you speak the Word to them, because it is good for them and because you love them. Also, some pastors are more geared towards individual interaction, and so the pulpit is a difficult place for them. Perhaps they speak the Word better in small groups, counseling sessions, and home visits.

However, I think that sometimes all this pastoral care can become babysitting. And sometimes people never grow up. When I was growing up in the fundamentalist church, perhaps it was my limited perspective as a child, but I saw the pastor as first and foremost a preacher. He was there to teach us about the Bible, but in such a way that he made us hungry for the Word ourselves. He was there to fuel our faith, not to have faith for us. I didn't think that a good pastor did a lot of visitation. I thought a good pastor preached the Word. I didn't necessarily expect that a pastor would be at the hospital if I had a surgery or broken leg. He might be there, he might not. Christian friends probably would be though. And if I had an illness, I could come to church and have the elders lay hands on me (as it talks about in James). But I had a responsibility to study the Bible and grow as a Christian, beyond Sunday mornings.

We mainline preachers have got to stop babysitting people. We've got to start realizing that our job is to empower the saints, to make them hungry and thirsty for God and for the Word. Our goal is to "work ourselves out of a job" in a way. Only then will our churches stop depending on the pastor to tell them what to believe and start growing in maturity themselves.

Now that is tough. I'm leading a young adult Bible study right now. I know I will soon be gone and no longer able to lead the group. So I want them to lead sessions from time to time, in order to be used to it. One of the members of the group wants to go so far as to have everyone take turns leading. And the group actually WANTS to! They are growing...and taking ownership of their faith! Yay! But...gulp! Don't they need me anymore? It feels good to be needed. It feels good to be the spiritual "expert." It certainly means I have to let go of my pride and my need to be needed. But if I do that, they will grow and they will benefit. If I do that, I will be able to see that God used me to bring them together and to launch this searching the Scriptures for themselves. And that is a miracle and an awesome thing. It is a far better thing than me having to dominate all the time.

Ephesians 4: 11 He is the one who gave these gifts to the church: the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, and the pastors and teachers. 12 Their responsibility is to equip God's people to do his work and build up the church, the body of Christ, 13 until we come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God's Son that we will be mature and full grown in the Lord, measuring up to the full stature of Christ. 14 Then we will no longer be like children, forever changing our minds about what we believe because someone has told us something different or because someone has cleverly lied to us and made the lie sound like the truth. 15 Instead, we will hold to the truth in love, becoming more and more in every way like Christ, who is the head of his body, the church.

Hebrews 5: 11 There is so much more we would like to say about this. But you don't seem to listen, so it's hard to make you understand. 12 You have been Christians a long time now, and you ought to be teaching others. Instead, you need someone to teach you again the basic things a beginner must learn about the Scriptures. F28 You are like babies who drink only milk and cannot eat solid food. 13 And a person who is living on milk isn't very far along in the Christian life and doesn't know much about doing what is right. 14 Solid food is for those who are mature, who have trained themselves to recognize the difference between right and wrong and then do what is right.

I Peter 2: 2 You must crave pure spiritual milk so that you can grow into the fullness of your salvation. Cry out for this nourishment as a baby cries for milk, 3 now that you have had a taste of the Lord's kindness

6 Comments:

  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Rev. Alex Klages said…

    My biggest theological issue with this post is this. Basically, I'm not sure that a pastor *isn't* supposed to be a 'spiritual babysitter' in the sense that the role of pastor within a congregation is to be the minister of the Word and the Sacraments... and while it is true that pastors want laypeople to know what is going on and to grow up in the faith, we most decidedly do not want to 'work ourselves out of a job'. Even in the best congregation, the role of the pastor is still necessary as the one who holds forth the Law and Gospel, who administers the Sacraments. The pastor has been ordained-- set apart-- to spend his time doing precisely this. He is trained to know God's Word and how best to apply the rule of faith to its study. This is not a small thing, and all the rest of pastoral ministry ought to be exercised toward guiding people back toward the Word, their own Baptism, and the forgiveness of sins both in absolution and the Lord's Supper. This office of the pastoral ministry dates back to the earliest days of the Church. It has been and always will be necessary. Any pastoral ministry which leads to anything other than the marks of the Church is not pastoral ministry. The role of the pastor is to create people dependent not on the pastor but on the gifts God gives to the congregation through the divinely ordained pastoral office. The solid food only comes from a deep relationship with God's gifts through His servant.

    In order to be able to preach God's Word in a way so that it connects with the hearers, so that the people know their need to grow in God's Word, a pastor really does need to be out there doing the 'spiritual babysitting'. I need to know the struggles and strains the people are going through so I know how to apportion the meat and the milk, as it were. Visitation, albeit a visitation centred on plumbing the spirits of my people, is absolutely essential to what I do as a pastor. I acknowledge that visitation can turn into empty pleasantries, but the art of pastoral conversation is to always angle into how God fits in to whatever situation my people may be facing. I must visit. It's who I am. It's what a shepherd (Latin: pastor) does--keep track of the sheep. He is placed there by Christ, through the call of the congregation, to do just that. That's the heart of my disagreement with your post.

     
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Pastor Alex,

    Thank you for taking the time to respond and explain where you are coming from. Here's one part of my post I may stated differently than I intended it: "The role of a pastor is to work him or herself out of a job." Given sin in the world, we all (including pastors) have need for an external word, a word outside of us that speaks Law and Gospel to convict us and bring us the Word of forgiveness. That's why we need a preacher.

    But the preacher should be calling people back to the Scriptures and their own personal study. Remember the Bereans in the book of Acts? They were commended for going home and searching the Scriptures themselves to see if what the Apostles were teaching them was in fact true. So, I'm not calling for the Church to evolve into something where we don't need pastors anymore. Given our sinful state, we will always need pastors. (I must think so, since I'm going into that work myself). But the goal is not to be an intermediary between God and the congregation. The goal is to preach the Word and encourage people to get to know God for themselves.

    I hear what you're saying too, that being people's pastor means being their shepherd and knowing what's going on with them. I agree to some extent. However, even in a small congregation, we can't know all that is going on. We can never do enough visitation. I do think we should do some, but sometimes it takes the place of studying the Word because we simply don't have the time to go deep. And so we end up forsaking the major focus of our calling because of the tyranny of the urgent. And...I have seen too many Lutherans dependent on the pastor in an unhealthy way. They don't study their Bibles much themselves. They rely on the pastor's visit or sermon on Sunday. Not good. This is far less of a problem in the fundamentalist denominations where the congregation is encouraged to dig into the Word for themselves.

    I'm curious as to how you integrate Ephesians 4 into your view. I would love to hear you respond back if you have time.

    Thanks again for the thoroughness of your comment...it shows you took the post seriously.

    Rebecca

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Blogger Kelly Klages said…

    Hi. :o) A couple random comments that should in no way be assumed to be the opinion of my hubby. Well, here goes:

    You said, "But the goal is not to be an intermediary between God and the congregation. The goal is to preach the Word and encourage people to get to know God for themselves."

    We know that there is only one "mediator" between God and man, and that is Jesus. But the pastoral office has been given to preach the Word and administer the Sacraments. "He who hears you hears me." The pastor serves as a "means" in this way. Out of his mouth is coming the "I forgive you" of the Gospel. To somewhat anti-clerical fundamentalists (I was raised one myself) that can look like the pastor is trying to be the mediator, keeping people from the closeness of some sort of personal contact with God, but it isn't so. Is there closer contact that the preached Word and the Body and Blood? Can the people read the Word themselves in the comfort of their own homes? Of course. But it has never been the position of Lutherans that we rely on a kind of small group, "everybody a minister" system where God speaks to individuals apart from the divinely appointed means which come to us in the Divine Service.

    Another comment: "I have seen too many Lutherans dependent on the pastor in an unhealthy way. They don't study their Bibles much themselves. They rely on the pastor's visit or sermon on Sunday. Not good. This is far less of a problem in the fundamentalist denominations where the congregation is encouraged to dig into the Word for themselves."

    As I mentioned, I grew up in a fundamentalist situation and I do often (as pretty much all Lutheran pastors do) wish that people would make more use of the Bible study opportunities that our churches offer. Not to mention more use of the preached Word and Sacrament on Sunday. I can't say I mind the people being "dependent" on the Sunday sermon, if that sermon gives them the Law and Gospel. So we are in agreement that more reading of God's Word-- and more people placing themselves under a pastor's catechesis-- would be great. But I don't think the pastoral visits are the problem. And having been raised fundamentalist, I think that there's another danger about over-praising the fundamentalist mindset of reading the Bible "for yourself" and everyone fancying themselves a Berean. Bad theology is rampant in fundamentalist circles. Everyone becomes their own pope and imposes their own personal ideologies on the text, especially when they have not been catechized properly. It is the pastor's job to keep the sheep from straying into dangerous places that are harmful to faith.
    This isn't to say of course that people shouldn't read their Bibles and have good, healthy theological discussion with their pastors. Lutheran pastors love this.

     
  • At 9:21 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    Hi Kelly,

    Thanks for your response. I need to muse a little more about your discussion of the pastoral office as the "means" of delivering the Word....and how that integrates with or counters what I was trying to say. Thanks for new/refreshed language to think about this with. I'm not sure if I agree or not...I need to think it through more.

    Yes, there is some bad theology in fundamentalist circles, but people there tend to know their Bibles. Lutherans (as a group...with some exceptions) tend to not know their Bibles. They also (unless they're old timers) tend to not know the catechism or the basic theological teachings of the Church. There is a much bigger problem of everyone being their own pope in the Lutheran church because the average churchgoer does not even rely on Scripture for their opinions...they rely on their feelings and personal ideas. At least fundamentalists rely on Scripture, albeit their own interpretation of it.

    And what I'm saying is that maybe the reason Lutherans tend to know so little is because we pastoral types don't equip them to study the Word for themselves.

    Now...I guess I'm talking about ELCA Lutherans here though, since they are the ones I know. I'm guessing you are from another Lutheran denomination (LCMS?)...and y'all might just be better at all this stuff than we are! It wouldn't surprise me!:-)

    Thanks again for responding. I get a lot out of discussing and debating...and I always learn from another perspective.

    Rebecca

     
  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Rebecca said…

    One other thing occurs to me: We must not set aside the priesthood of all believers. That is a core Lutheran teaching too.

    How does Preaching as Means of the Word integrate with the priesthood of all believers?

     
  • At 4:17 PM, Blogger CPA said…

    Some thoughts from a layman's perspective.

    I've been a Christian since 1994 in a variety of churches. I have received a home visit exactly once in that time. To me, the debate seems kind of abstract, like asking whether doctors making house calls is a good thing or not. Whatever the answer is, it won't make it happen.

    About priesthood of all believers -- I think that's too often understood as "everyone stands alone before God". If that was so, we should rather have said, there is no priesthood. But what it means is we have to hear the Word from others. Priesthood of all believers doesn't mean I read the Bible by myself (that's a good thing, but that's not priesthood). It means I can if needed speak the Gospel to my neighbor.

    So that's true, but it is also true that when spoken by a pastor the objectivity of the Word is made more real. Not to speak of the gospel in question being likely to be a good deal purer!

    Bo Giertz said it well here.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Counters
hit Counter