musings of a saint and sinner

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

crushed spirits

Lately I have been seeing all too many examples of people that I know and care about being steamrolled over by the goal-oriented..... These driven folks are well-meaning, but they put the task over the priority of the people again and again, while saying that their goal is to minister to the people. They crush the spirits of people who have ideas for ministry because the ideas do not conform to their plan. And I am seeing this at more than one church, with more than one Christian.

Why am I so shaken up by this? Because I am exactly the sort of person who could easily fall into such a trap. I am an introvert...and a stubborn, goal-oriented one at that. I see what I want done, how I want it done, and it better get done that way! I'm going to make an impact in this world and that's that! Sometimes I ignore people when they talk because I have my mind on the latest project. I forget to be "fully present." I forget that I am not the only one whom God has gifted...He gifted them too!

Crushed spirits are the work of the devil. And as I see from the outside what the effect of steamrolling over people is, I am shaken up. I want no part in it. I want to honor the gifts of God in others, not just myself.

May I never crush God's work in someone while I think I'm on my way to my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones
Counters
hit Counter